Thursday, March 9, 2017

GabbaGoods SecureBuds Bluetooth Earbuds


It's been SO frustrating trying to find earbuds that work for me during high impact activities like running.  I have tiny little ear canals and regular earbuds won't stay in, even when using the smallest bud covers.

For the last 2 years I've been using a set of RBX earbuds that hook around the top of and behind the ears and are connected with a neck band, but I'm so tired of getting tangled up in the cord and having them pulled out of my ears, or trying to keep the headphone plug fully in the phone jack and not shorting out.  Plus, if I need to wear a hat or headband, the behind-the-ear loops dig into the back of my ear and rub them raw and cause pain.  Argh!!!!

Then, last week, I found a set of the GabbaGoods SecureBuds Bluetooth Earbuds at TJ Maxx for, get this, $12!!!!  I checked them out in the store and found the ear hooks go inside the ears and they're a super soft rubber.  A quick in-store try-on suggested that they would likely stay in my ears, and the controls seemed to be simple enough I could use them while actually running, so, at that price, how could they NOT go home with me????

Included in the box were the earbuds, a mini/USB charging cord, and a single page of directions (although I didn't find it until the following day, and I ended up not needing the directions at all)I put the buds on the charger and about 2 hrs later, I grabbed my iPhone 6S and the earbuds, and attempted to pair them up.  Holding the controller's middle button turned the buds on and a blue light started blinking.  I opened up the Bluetooth settings on the phone and there they were, GG-BSB, ready and waiting.  With the earbuds in, I heard "Power on", and then "The Bluetooth device is connected successfully".  Wow, that was easy!!!

Tonight, I actually tried them for the first time and couldn't be happier!  The controls include a volume up button, a power on/off/phone answer button, and a volume down button and using them was pretty intuitive right from the get-go.  Music quality is about what you'd expect from mid-quality ear buds, with deeper bass and cleaner sound than I expected for a mere $12.  I used them for about 2 1/2 hours while tuning skis and had no issues with pain from the ear hooks or with the connector cable getting tangled up in things.  I even answered and ended a phone call with them quickly and easily.  Despite having the TV on in the background (which I couldn't hear at all with them in and the music playing), hubby said the sound quality on his end of the phone call was comparable to just being on the phone normally.  Wandering around with them showed I could go about 12 feet from my phone before the sound started to break up and crackle, and about 15 feet before it cut out all together.  Admittedly, the phone was inside the tuning shop, and I was outside, so I'll be curious to see what happens with distance given a direct line of sight.

A check of GabbaGoods' website show they're available in black, white, blue, and red, and retail for $29.99 directly from their site. It says they should go 4-6 hours on a charge, so we'll see how accurate that is.

Short-term update:  I've now used them around the house for about 4 1/2 to 5 hrs, and they went on the charger for the first time post-use. They appear to have fully charged in less than 2 hours.

8 comments:

  1. OMG!!! I have the SAME problem with my ear canals and discovered these at Marshalls. Only, 1 earpiece got crushed while I was travelling and I couldn't find the brand anywhere! Then...I came across your blog...thank you thank you thank you!!! I am buying another one immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!! I have the SAME problem with my ear canals and discovered these at Marshalls. Only, 1 earpiece got crushed while I was travelling and I couldn't find the brand anywhere! Then...I came across your blog...thank you thank you thank you!!! I am buying another one immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently found many useful information in your website especially this blog page. Among the lots of comments on your articles. Thanks for sharing.
    Earbuds

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Head Phone is gorgeous! thanks for sharing.
    Desh Cam Centre

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this wonderful review. I just read your article and found it very helpful but still there are many features that are not offered by this product. If you are looking to buy new earbuds then I would suggest you to check different products and their features before buying the best one. If you are looking for the best one then I'd love to recommend this list of most durable earbuds. I bet you will find the best one for your needs on this link.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As far as the best Bluetooth Headphones are concerned, know that they will have excellent sound quality. The quality will be as good as that of high-end models. Since Topmate Bluetooth Earpods has not any limitations, the quality of a Bluetooth pair may not match that of the headsets that make use of other technologies. However, the sound will still be clear, crisp and very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Guided Missiles- Security has emerged as one of the major concerns of the modern day. With terrorist threats looming over our heads every minute and weapons of mass destruction being amassed at an alarming rate, loss of lives is almost imminent. duttajitechnical.com

    ReplyDelete