Thursday, March 9, 2017

Outdoor Products Cross Breeze 33l Internal Frame Pack


Last summer, hiking became one of my new summer activities, and I even completed the North Country Trail 100 Mile Challenge.  I started out using just a waist pack water bottle holder, then realized that some parts of the NCT were really remote and generally deserted during the week, and any accident or injury could leave me out there for a longish period of time so I should probably carry some basic first aid and rescue items with me.  As the mileage started piling up, I began doing research on day packs and backpack fitting and decided I definitely wanted one with a fully weight-bearing hip belt, hip belt pockets, and capacity for at least a 2 liter bladder, but I didn't want to spend over $100, if possible.

 After trying on every pack that fit my requirements in every sporting goods and big box store in my area, I stumbled across the Outdoor Products Cross Breeze pack on clearance at MC Sports for less than $50.  I was GEEKED!!

Features that rock:  Separate pocket for up to a 3 liter bladder with a hang loop and tube port; large and well padded lumbar pad and hip belt with mesh pockets on each wing and straps that pull forward to adjust hip belt snugness; a top pocket for snacks and small stuff; side mesh pockets for water bottles or apples or whatever; a flat items pocket on the front; an organizer pocket with key hook; nicely padded shoulder straps; loops and bungees for hiking poles; plenty of room for a first aid kit, fire starter, packable puffy, packable rain jacket, extra snacks, and other emergency items; and finally, a mesh trampoline back that keeps the whole back from sitting directly on your back.

Features that suck:  The top pocket for small stuff is almost inaccessible if the the pack is fully loaded; the hang loop for the bladder is small and awkwardly placed and the Velcro doesn't always stay hooked; there's no daisy chains or attachment points for larger stuff; the zipper on the organizer pocket is a single directional zipper that loops up and around the pocket flap so failing to completely zip it may allow stuff to fall out of that pocket; the adjusters on the shoulder harness refuse to stay put; and the hip belt pockets aren't quite big enough for standard snack bars.

I liked mine so much in the first 25 miles of use that hubby bought one for himself and we bought one for my mom as well (mine is red, both of theirs are blue).  We've now each put 50-75 miles on them, even using them for snowshoeing, and they're holding up really well.  Mine fits and carries so well I forget I even have it on most of the time.

I've had personal experience with Outdoor Products' "No questions asked lifetime warranty", and I must say that their replacement program is quick and easy and their customer service communication is stellar.

All-in-all, this pack gets a huge thumbs-up from me!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment